Friday 1 November 2013

Techopedia impresses this relative beginner and computing autodidact

I know a bit about computing I think. Yet when you have taught yourself, as you went along, with a few (half-understood) conversations with experts in computing (but not necessarily communication) it is great to find a fall-back position where you can check your knowledge and plug the gaps. That's what techopedia.com  does for me, at a basic, easily readable level, as well as updating and rounding up my half-knowledge in the following areas for example:
  • the difference between the Internet and the World Wide Web
  • the pioneers of the World Wide Web
  • a timeline of the development of the Internet and the World Wide Web
  • understanding social media
  • a beginner's guide to internet memes
  • 6 key trends in online business
  • what do massive open online courses (MOOCs) mean for education?
  • cloud computing
  • top 10 cloud computing myths busted
I hope this will all be useful background to my Web Science MOOc later this month and if not I have learnt something useful anyway. It satisfied my curiosity and at some point I had to stop clicking yet another hyperlink.

Tim Berners-Lee: The World Wide Web - Opportunity, Challenge, Responsibility (Photo credit: Anna L. Schiller)


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment